Sunday, January 13, 2013

Red Cabbage Casserole & Apple Crumble........please don't serve together lolololololololol

Hello Lovelies,

I had my Aunty, Uncle and Mum over for Sunday lunch today I did a proper Sunday Roast and then we had apple crumble for pud!

Whenever I can get hold of a red cabbage I serve it with a roast, because it is really yummy, really easy and I can make a massive batch of it and heat it up the next day. Apologies again for the lack of proper measurements.

I was in the kitchen all morning, so the soundtrack was fairly extensive today, we had:

White Zombie
Tori Amos (who hubby was foolish enough to mock while I was holding a butter knife - never EVER mock Tori to me, especially when I am armed, drunk, or both!)
The Gallows
Haim (I am still trying to decide if I want to listen to them everyday for the rest of my life, or punch them in the nose)
The Levellers

Tara's Red Cabbage Casserole

Ingredients

I red cabbage
I bramley Apple
I orange
I small onion
big spoonful of dark brown sugar
glug of red wine vinegar

1. Peel, core and slice the apple

2. thinly slice the onion

3. Cut the cabbage into quarters, cut out the tough stalky bit and then slice the cabbage so it looks kinda shredded.

4. Turn on your slow cooker to high (I think in America you call these crockpots) put 1/4 of the cabbage in and then 1/4 of the apple and the onion spread over it.

5. Repeat this until you have used it all up

6. Zest the orange and squeeze the juice over the casserole, pour in a fairly generous glug of the red wine vinegar.

7. Give it all a good stir and then leave in the slow cooker for between 2 and 4 hours, stirring when you remember.

If you don't have a slow cooker, you can do this in a casserole in the oven, just make sure you keep an eye on it, else you will end up with cremated cabbage stuck to your casserole dish.


Honestly it tastes waaaay better than it looks, my photography isn't the best at all

Apple Crumble

Ingredients

As many bramley apples as you think you need for your dish
handful of frozen mixed berries
8oz plain flour (200g)
4oz butter (100g)
3oz light brown sugar (75g)
splash of water
pinch cinnamon
plenty of caster sugar to sprinkle on the apples

1. Peel, Core and chop up your apples into about 1 inch cubes and throw them in a deep oven proof dish, add a handful of frozen mixed berries (I only do this because it makes the filling look pink and pretty)

2. Pour over a little water, maybe 1/2 teacup full

3. sprinkle over as much sugar as you think you need, this depends on the apples and your own sweet tooth. I use quite a lot.

4. Add a pinch of dried cinnamon

5. weigh out your flour and butter, dice your butter and put it all in a big bowl, making sure you have clean hands rub the flour into the butter until it looks like you have coarse breadcrumbs.

6. add the brown sugar and mix in with your hands

7. cover the apple mix with your crumble mix and then cook in the oven covered for 20 minutes and then uncovered for about 25 depending on how big your crumble is. The oven should be at about 200 degrees C, or 390 F.

8. Serve up to happy faces with custard, or vanilla ice cream or both.


Yum :)

Happy Cooking

<3
Tara
xoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment